Sunday 20 February 2011

Teatime

I have currently been working on a project around the living room. From this I have been observing interaction in this room, I focused in particular on tea and the ritual surrounding making it. I wanted to encourage the use of a teapot and loose tea in order to create a more social situatuion, as opposed to one person in the kitchen making numerous mugs of tea from a kettle using tea bags. In British cuture tea drinking is a common thing yet no one seems to have time to do it properly. So many people choose to drink tea on the go from a cardboard cup as they have such busy schedules, rather than taking a brief break to socialize with their friends and family.

With a teapot it forces people to be together, I have been using a teapot for the past month. I have observed and recorded why people opt for the kettle and teabag over the tea pot. I have concluded it is due to the effort of getting the teapot and milk jug out along with cleaning it. I have created an elongated tea strainer and a lid that houses this and a spoon reducing mess and keeping everything neat along with eliminating the chore of cleaning the loose leaves out of the pot.

These images show my development process and prototypes.























































No comments:

Post a Comment